Kova kajjikayalu or Mawa Gujiya with a twist !!!
Kova Kajjikayalu is a traditional south indian dessert n widely sold at pure ghee sweet stores...
These are quiet similar to Mawa Gujiyas (except for the suagar syrup coating )made by the north indians..
During my childhood this was one amongst our favorites & we made sure that we ate it atleast once a month ... :P
The crispy crunchy exterior , mildly sweet stuffing n the coated sugar syrup takes it to just snother level ...
No matter how many new varieties arise , the authentic ones are unbeatable for sure !!
For the pastry layer / the crust :
- 1 cup All pupose flour / Maida
- 1tbsp Melted ghee / clarified butter
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- Water as needed to make the dough
- 1/2 cup Unsweetend Mawa / khoya crumbled
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar ( less or more according to preference )
- 8 cashews powdered
- 6 almonds powdered
- 10 pistachios powdered
- 1/4tsp cardamom powder
For sugar syrup :
- 1 1/2cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- Few strands of saffron (optional )
- In a bowl take the all purpose flour ..add the salt n mix well..now add the melted butter mix thouroughly until crumbs are formed..now add water little by little n knead a little stiff dough...keep it covered with wet cloth until use..
- Dry roast or shallow fry the nuts until golden., cool and grind them into coarse powder...
- In a pan add the khoya / mawa n roast slightly without changing its color ..on a low heat...n cool it at room temperature until paliable...
- In a bowl add the roasted khoya , nuts powder , cardamom powder and powdered sugar n mix well...now the stuffing is ready ..keep this aside..
Bringing all together :
- Take a golf sized dough ball n roll into small discs..
- place a spoon full of stuffing in the centre ..
- Fold into semi circle n seal the edges in a twisting method made traditionally ...or press the edges with a fork ...
- Prepare all in the same manner until all the dough n stuffing are used..and set aside..
- Now heat oil in a pan / kadai until just hot ...we dont want it to reach smoking point..
- Now slowly drop in 3 to 4 gujiyas / kajjikayalu at a time...n fry until golden on a medium flame..
- Fry all the gujiyas in the same manner and set aside..
- Finally for the sugar syrup : boil the water n sugar until it attains single thread consistency ...add the saffron , cardamom powder & switch it off.. cool it a bit before adding gujiyas...
- Now drop in the fried gujiyas...
- Let them sit in the syrup for 15 mins ..
- Remove and garnish with chopped nuts and saffron ...
- Now this traditional goodness is ready to enjoy..
These sweet n moist interiors tempt us more n more !!Make u r occasions even more special with these beauties !!!